Sunday, December 7, 2008

Brooks knows Santa?

Earlier in the week, I took Brooks to the annual Christmas parade in town. Ryan didn't get to watch the parade with us because he had to drive the mini-firetruck (the same one that spent the night with us a few months back...previous blog) so my friend, Hillary, went with us. I told her before it started that I was so nervous that Brooks would freak out!! He does not do loud noises or things dressed up in costumes (Santa, a pig, and the Chick Fil A cow were all in the parade). I was very surprised though! He got a little scared at first and clung to Hillary's leg, but he really opened up after the first few floats. Towards the middle of the parade, there were lots of old timey cars which Brooks loved!! He gave them all names like the ones in Cars! Where does he come up with this?! Then Daddy came by and you would have thought he was a celebrity. Brooks was telling everybody, "Ook! Ook! That Daddy! Daddy! Daaadddddyyyyy!"

The coolest part for me was when Santa came by...the very last car. I wasn't really paying attention (actually, I was looking through my camera to see if I got a good picture of Ryan) and Brooks started hitting me on the shoulder..."Mommy...Mommy!" I thought something was wrong, but when I looked at him, his eyes just lit up and he simply said, "Santa Claus!" I will ALWAYS remember this moment. I had no idea he knew about Santa yet. We introduced him to the Polar Express (trains is another obsession) over Thanksgiving break so I am just assuming he knows about Santa through that! I love seeing my kids at school get excited about Christmas, but it is different with your own. It made the holiday so much more special to see it through a child's eyes again! I never put much thought into how people always describe children with their eyes lighting up, but Brooks's eyes literally sparkled at that moment! I know I always say it but it is so appropriate here...melt my heart!








No comments: